There is a reason on the bottle of a hairspray bottle it says to keep away from heat.
“The smell was horrific.” Anna Finger said after explaining her scarring experience of her hair catching on fire.
“I was 13 years old the second time it happened, and I was sitting in church at the Easter Vigil.”
Describing the atmosphere of the church, she pointed out the presence of calm flames lit around the room.
“It turns out that hairspray is flammable,” Finger says with a slight chuckle. “I had curled my hair that day, and I bent over and I felt heat.”
Her hair was on fire.
Finger quickly pats the fire out and continues on with the service. This however, was neither the first time, nor the last time for Finger to experience her hair catching on fire.
Of course, her family has told her this story, as I unlike many others do not remember a story in detail from the age of three.
What harm could something so beautiful and shiny do, especially as it fits so well in a layer of frosting. These are most likely the innocent thoughts that go through a young toddler when looking at a cake, not knowing the danger of a small, little, flame. Maybe a little more simpler and smaller words, but fire is fire and from a distance, looks comforting and harmless.
At the age of three, she was at a family birthday party with her sister, and parents. However, her parents were in a different room and someone else was watching her. All of the exciting things a party offers to the eyes of an innocent three year-old, little Anna bends over to take a look at the small bright flame standing on the edge of a nicely colored stick made completely of wax.
However, after two times of experiencing the strong stench of a small bit of her hair catching on fire, Stop drop and roll is too much work in the eye’s of Finger.
Shrugging her shoulders, Finger motions to a quick pat in her hair showing her quick reflexes.
Not remembering any other details, Finger describes her last experience, which happened 6 years ago at the age of 15.
Her Blond hair, nicely mixed with natural highlights do not show any scar however of any type of damage. Though fire spread quickly, Finger has the quick reflexes and isn’t afraid to pat it down and continue on with whatever her mind is focused on.
Third and final time involves church. She was serving in her church holding a candle and was about to enter the church. “They tell us to keep our hair pulled back, now I understand why.”
“I was in church, I was serving and I was carrying the candle into church and I bowed,” Finger said again, chuckling a little more to herself.
Her first reaction was to quickly pat the fire out without a thought, but her first thought was, “I hope no one saw.”
Though the damage was small, and caused no harm three times in a row, the moral of this story is, Toddlers and birthday candles, don’t mix, and neither does hairspray and church.